Thursday, 7 July 2016

Removing the Windows

I have progressed to the point where all of the windows are out. I try and take the time to remove as much putty as possible from each window so that there will be less work later in the process and I do not find myself chipping off hardened goop. 



This is a very boring stretch of the reno. Pretty much just removing windows, and exterior trim one inch a a time. 


I also have had to learn to remove something called "twisty nails" which are round headed nails that are twisted into the wood and do not come out easily. I ruined a small section of aluminum in the trunk area, until one of my advisors told me to order "VAMPLIERS".. yes thats right, it sounds like vampire. They are special pliers that grab nails when they are flush and pull them out. This photo is the aluminum I damaged. Fortunatly it is in an inconspicuous place.


Here are some of the tools I use for stripping down the trailer. The Vampliers are the little ones at the front. 


 I have learned to take a lot of photos while rehabbing the trailer. I find weird things that the factory builders did like plugging the top of the door trim with putty. I need to remember that for the reassembly.




For the next few weeks, I will be scraping roofing tar off of the roof. My trailer was kept under a cabana, and they tarred the seam where the roof met the trailer. I started removing the tar with a heat gun but all it did was create a mess. I have moved onto using a dremel multitool with a scraper blade and it seems to be working. Its a messy job, but very relaxing if you like restoration work.


In my next post I will be showing you the wooden crib that I am building for storing the siding, and I will be raising off the roof to hang it off of the rafters during the repairs.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've got a great place to do your work. I got a Golden Falcon and dolled up the interior, not knowing quite how much I'd love her. Now I wonder how much damage I'll do to the inside by someday attempting a full restoration. You're doing it in the right order, at least! Can't wait to see the progression.

    ReplyDelete